“No country can ever truly flourish if it stifles the potential of it’s women, and deprives itself of the contribution of half it’s citizens.” – Michelle Obama
It’s International Women’s Day 2023, and with this year’s theme being #EmbraceEquity, tying in with the UN Women’s theme of “DigitALL: innovation and technology for women”, we’re celebrating and spotlighting all our Spike women!
IWD 2023’s call to ‘embrace equity’ suggests an active willingness to accept, adopt and support gender equity across wellbeing, employment and technology. Following this theme, the United Nations Observance of IWD recognises and celebrates the women and girls who are championing the advancement of transformative technology.
According to the UN, bringing women and other marginalised groups into technology results in more creative solutions, and has greater potential for innovations that meet women’s needs and promote gender equality. According to Tech Nation, nearly three million people, or 9% of the UK workforce are employed in the UK tech industry. But women only make up 26% of the tech workforce. Many are driven out of the industry through burnout, gender biases, toxic aspects of “bro-culture” and a lack of work-life balance. A recent PwC study also indicates only 3% of women say a career in technology is their first-choice career.
So, what have we done to embrace equity at Spike?
- We’re encouraging transparent communication and encouraging our female team to voice their thoughts, and ensuring we always get their perspective, including them in high level discussions or 1-to-1s.
- We’re accommodating those who have family commitments, ensuring there is no fear of penalisation, through enabling flexible working patterns for those who need it, and staying open-minded and educated when it comes to female health.
- Encouraging retention and recruitment, giving equal opportunities to women from a variety of backgrounds, encouraging them to bring their own flair to the team.
- We’re actively creating social opportunities through office socials, where both men and women have been given equal opportunities to make suggestions and play active roles.
- We’re offering mentorship and support in every role.
- We’re encouraging all staff to express their creativity through imputing into enhancing the workspace and in celebrating special events.
- Continuously learning and understanding the best ways to support the needs of women in our team.
We hope to see more inclusivity within the technology industry, and we encourage everyone to consider gender equity within their workplace. As a company who value community, we endeavour to promote equality and put measures in place to enable women to thrive and develop within the sector alongside their male counterparts.
Thank you to all of our incredible women at Spike who add so much to the team as a whole – bringing their drive, flair, creativity, and much more!
Keep an eye out for our #IWD Spotlights across on our social media channels where we will be showcasing and celebrating our female team!